the great fandom migration
Wed, Aug. 8th, 2007, 10:27 pm
Man, I really really
wanted to have the Features Post of Doom up, but I'm still compiling. Yesterday I sat in a bar for three hours after work and made notes. Nineteen pages of them. *grin* If we can get even half of this stuff done, it's going to be totally awesome.
Now let's do the news.
- No one really cares about my e-mail issues, but I was having them, and now I'm not. I still have a zillion comments to go through, though, and I estimate one-third of the comments directed to me never showed up, and also there are a few hours of time where I just wasn't getting any comments that were left. So I apologize for kind of sucking at correspondence right now.
- I need someone who still has a paid account to help me. I'm certainly not buying one, but I can't post polls, and at some point polls are going to be required. I'm sure there have been people volunteering to help me mod this comm, but see previous bullet point.
- I cleared out the mod queue by just rejecting everything, largely because I let stuff pile up and then I didn't want to approve stuff and have all the posts show up at once. (I couldn't figure out from the FAQ if that would actually happen. Does anyone know?) Sorry for the mod fail. Here's what was in the queue:
- LJ layouts ported to GJ, for those of you moving sooner than later and wanting your layouts. Posted by slash_eater.
- A webmonkey tutorial on protecting content on your websites; a BellaOnline tutorial on forms and passwords. Posted by dracothelizard for people who want to put up websites and password-protect the fic and art hosted on those sites, as a possible solution for people not ready for The Great Migration but who don't trust LJ with their work.
- treewishes was wondering if LJ even really cares about us and our paid accounts anymore, now that they have advertising dollars.
- metafandom has the list, as usual. I'd like to bring attention to femmequixotic's open letter to 6A/LJ, which nicely highlights the remaining issues. (There are plenty.)
- synecdochic has written a post about being heard in the right places. Personally, I'm not inclined to fight LJ on anything. I don't feel the need to yell at them or try to screw them over. I just want to pour all my efforts into getting the hell out of here as quickly as possible.
...which leaves me with these words of wisdom from insomnia
, writing in this post
Truth is, the future belongs to you, and not to Brad or Mena or Ev or any of those other sold out dotcom slackers who are too busy with the keynote and cocktail circuit to get an honest 20 hours of coding done in a day. They're a good six years past their prime, and that's a century or two in 'net years. You don't need these people who seem to have lost their way and their ideals. You don't need their bloated stacks of code, their crumbling edifices, and their failed idealism. You don't need to feel like the barrier to making something meaningful is too big and too insurmountable, and you certainly don't need to think that everything has been done, either.
You only need to do something new or do something better. Your failure, if you have one, is not a lack of ability, but a lack of effort and/or a lack of vision.
Identify a problem. Fix it. Hack the planet.
So let's get hacking, yeah? Yeah. I really will have the features post up soon.
Thu, Aug. 9th, 2007 03:39 am (UTC)
I have a paid account, and I'd love to help out in anyway I can. Just let me know when/if you need me. :)
Thu, Aug. 9th, 2007 03:43 am (UTC)
<3 on you for posting this... its perfect
Thu, Aug. 9th, 2007 03:44 am (UTC)
i've got a paid account until next April. whatever I can do.
Thu, Aug. 9th, 2007 03:45 am (UTC)
Another paid user here (till next February, curse renewing for a year). If you need anything, I'm happy to help out.
Thu, Aug. 9th, 2007 03:47 am (UTC)
I will post polls, gladly :)
Thu, Aug. 9th, 2007 03:49 am (UTC)
Paid user, volunteering space for polls. etc.
Thu, Aug. 9th, 2007 03:52 am (UTC)
I just wanted to ask in case I missed it - I know you said you would be paying for this all out of pocket and everything, but I was wondering if you're going to set up something to where you can accept donations. Because I really freaking want to see this happen and if you need monies I want to throw in my measly few bucks from my PP account. :D
Thu, Aug. 9th, 2007 11:31 am (UTC)
Thu, Aug. 9th, 2007 03:53 am (UTC)
I also have a paid acct if you need use of it, let me know, I'd be happy to help!
Thu, Aug. 9th, 2007 03:57 am (UTC)
Permanent account here, online constantly. I see a few volunteers already, but if you happen to need someone else for polls or features access I'm here.
I look forward to the Features Post of Doom; like probably a good number of us, I'm eager to see plans and updates. <3
Fri, Aug. 10th, 2007 04:45 pm (UTC)
Seconding this with a perm account bought waaaaaay years ago. :D It's already paid for itself and I wanna keep milkin' them dry with it.
Thu, Aug. 9th, 2007 04:00 am (UTC)
My personal journal (poetofgratitude) is paid until the middle of September, I will be more than happy to utilize all of my paid bennies on your behalf until then. *G*
Also - consider this a general offer of assistance, for pretty much whatever. I'm pretty basic with coding html and css but I can do it, and I have tools to help if need be. :)
Thu, Aug. 9th, 2007 04:09 am (UTC)
have paid account through end of January, am more than willing to share polls.
Thu, Aug. 9th, 2007 04:29 am (UTC)
I'll help. My paid account quite conveniently ends in early January. :)
Thu, Aug. 9th, 2007 05:24 am (UTC)
bubble_blunder: Open Letter Take 2....
I just wanted to do a quick fly by to get the word out that I have started posting about a revised open letter if anyone is interested in participating again in the writing of it. The discussion starts here
, and a new post should be up within an hour or so with a new letter here
. Feel free to spread the word if you like!
Thu, Aug. 9th, 2007 06:45 am (UTC)
I love your posts, so cohesive and clear...♥
(And I got your message with rejection of entry - don't worry sweetie! You don't fail...To be honest, when I posted it I wanted to undo it, because I thought it wasn't really apropriate, at least not to make whole entry of it, maybe mentioned, like this, in one entry with some other useful info. and I just got Semagic so I went to play with it and I got carried away...To easy to post, you know? :P But with moderated posting I couldn't delete it or take it back...)
And here are some more info I found out exploring IJ and GJ:
-If you're 'free patient' on IJ you don't have ability to post videos and you can't have polls but you can open Asylums (comms)
-You can apply those layouts on IJ (that link I gave)
-But, if applied on GJ, those layouts disable you of posting videos. Not sure about other media.
-You can change that interface on IJ here
And do you know any place on news or lj_biz to post this?
Everything is already full...damned time zones. I get up and people spammed everything.
Thu, Aug. 9th, 2007 07:24 am (UTC)
I only have a paid account until the end of September, so I doubt this will be of much help, but if you need something until then just let me know!
Thu, Aug. 9th, 2007 01:45 pm (UTC)
Paid account until next year at least.
So offering another hand to help.
DUDE. HACK THE PLANET!
Thu, Aug. 9th, 2007 03:26 pm (UTC)
Dude, I know, right?! :D
And thanks for volunteering to help. Probably, when it's poll-time, I will just send out e-mail to the list and whoever gets back to me first can put the poll up. Rinse, lather, repeat.
Thu, Aug. 9th, 2007 02:00 pm (UTC)
Bit late, but perm account, and more than willing to help if you need someone else.
Thu, Aug. 9th, 2007 03:16 pm (UTC)
I'm willing to help out, too.
Thank you so much for the time and effort you are putting towards this. So many people are doing so much work. I just sit here and feel annoyed.
Thu, Aug. 9th, 2007 03:28 pm (UTC)
Ah, but if no one were sitting around feeling annoyed, there wouldn't be much drive behind this project. :)
And thanks for the offer of help. When the time comes for polling, I will probably send e-mail to the list of volunteers, and whoever gets back to me first can post. Seems like the best way to do it, rather than try to appoint a person or two who may or not be online at the same time I am.
Thu, Aug. 9th, 2007 11:01 pm (UTC)
I missed this one in the flurries yesterday.
Volunteer to help. Am on regularly, and at odd hours. (Pacific time.) One of the things I'd probably be good at is writing TOS or FAQ sections that actually state clearly both "we will throw you out for being a dick" and "we will not throw you out for indecent content."
And even, "for more details, here's the link to the laws that would be relevant; understand that we may not like 'em either, but we're not going to prison for you."
Thu, Aug. 9th, 2007 11:25 pm (UTC)
I have a permanent account here and would be glad to post polls or whatever is needed.
Sun, Aug. 12th, 2007 12:02 am (UTC)
's page is empty; I suspect she's taken her entire journal friends-only.
Sun, Aug. 12th, 2007 12:04 am (UTC)
Ah, right. I wasn't clear. She made a post here, in this comm, wondering about it. I rejected that post and a few others, and just made notes of their contents in this one.